2013 Learning Reflections and Some Goals December 30, 2013Posted by Mrs. J in the Library in Ebooks, How to Be Brave, Reflections.
Tags: CEM, goals, Issuu, lessons learned, library management, makerspace, Pinterest, TpT, Twitter
As the year draws to a close, reflection posts and new year goals/resolutions are the popular “thing” to do on a blog. My take is a bit different: I’m listing the things I’ve learned to remind myself (and you my dear readers) that we’ve all accomplished a lot, and we should take pride in that. I hope you’ll share some of the things you’ve learned this year in the comments!
Things I’ve Learned This Year
- How to think differently and critically about the library from a student’s point of view.
- How to incorporate and manage Nexus tablets into a school library program.
- How to be brave enough to start a makerspace without “data” that it will raise PSSA standardized test scores.
- How to convert and merge PDF files while preserving the integrity of links, images, and other media…plus how to make images from a PDF.
- How to effectively use Pinterest to promote TpT products, Issuu to make an ebook, and even a bit of Twitter to connect with other teacher-librarians.
- How to write better blog posts (at least compared to when I started this blog) and make said posts more useful to teacher-librarian readers.
- Most importantly, how to re-discover my passion for teaching when I was about to burn out amidst the ridiculous data-obsession that’s gripped every facet of education today. It feels good to find a new lease on life in my profession.
- And much more I’m probably forgetting, because I feel REALLY tired sometimes!
Now for my mostly reasonable, practical goals for 2014:
- Keep my marriage strong…because without my husband’s amazing love, support, and dinner-cooking, I just couldn’t do all of the above things.
- Blog twice a month, and take my own photos! Yeah, this will be the challenging one.
- Re-design my home office space. It’s a disaster, and it’s NOT conducive to doing any work right now.
- Keep creating products on TpT, because I really believe librarians need ready-made things to teach 21st century skills. We don’t have time to reinvent the wheel.
So what did you learn this year that you are really proud of? Or what are your goals for 2014? Post in the comments if you like, and I wish you all a very happy and blessed new year!